The present day charity is an amalgamation of very many smaller charities which had been set up (endowed) by local benefactors and philanthropists.
Almshouses are the oldest form of social housing, and have existed for over 1000 years, enabling people in need to retain their independence and to live in their local community. The first recorded Almshouse was founded by King Athelstan in York, in the 10th Century AD. The oldest charity still in existence is thought to be the Hospital of St. Oswald in Worcester, founded circa 990.
The Walthamstow and Chingford Almshouse Charity – has five sets of Almshouses – Sir George Monoux Almshouses, endowed (established) in 1527, Mary Squires Almshouses, endowed in 1795, and Jane Sabina Collard Almshouses endowed in 1881. The Squires Almshouses and part of the Sir George Monoux Almshouses date back to the time they were originally endowed, and are Grade II Listed. The Collard Court Almshouses were rebuilt in 1975. The Chingford Almshouses were built at the Green in Chingford in 1859, in 1957 the five almshouses were sold and new almshouses were built at Templeton Avenue, Chingford in 1959. These were demolished and rebuilt in 2009. Colby Lodge the charity’s newest and award winning Almshouse opened in March 2018, the Charity now has 62 apartments providing high quality, affordable housing to local people.
The unincorporated Walthamstow and Chingford Almshouse Charity is governed by a limited company; the Walthamstow and Chingford Almshouse Trustee Company (6374226) was established to manage the affairs of the charity. The registered office of the company is the same as for the charity.